This page contains resources for learning about ChatGPT and other AI language models in the education and literary sectors.
If you would be interested in information about attending some kind of (video conferencing) presentation of Kit’s ChatGPT resources (with Q&A), please fill out this form.
ChatGPT @ School
A Guide to AI Language Models for Secondary Schools (Version 1.2)
Kit has developed this booklet to help secondary school staff to understand ChatGPT and what it brings to the profession (the good and bad) and to learn to use it. It may also be useful for the primary and tertiary sectors. This resource is designed to be printed as an A5 booklet using A4 paper but can be viewed digitally too.
Download the ChatGPT @ School booklet.
This booklet was researched, written, and produced in April 2023 by Kit Willett, school-wide digitech team leader at Selwyn College, Tāmaki Makaurau. This resource is in creative commons (CC BY-NC). Please attribute Kit Willett, 2023. It may be reproduced in part or in full free of charge, but attribution is required. Kit asserts his moral rights to this work.
Extras for experts: CRITICAL AI: Adapting College Writing for the Age of Large Language Models such as ChatGPT: Some Next Steps for Educators offers some very concrete practices for task design.
Leading PD on ChatGPT?
Feel free to use the ‘ChatGPT @ School’ booklet to introduce your staff to AI language models. You can also use/adapt Kit’s slides (on the right) to help guide staff through this beefy booklet.
The booklet explores:
- What is ChatGPT, and what is it for?
- How are our learners using it?
- What are the limitations and risks of AI use?
- What does this mean for authenticity?
- How can I detect AI use? + a process
- More detail about AI for experts (including copyright, prompt engineering, and other AI tools)
- What should I tell my students? + a sample handout
- How can I use ChatGPT to make my teaching life easier? + prompt examples
ChatGPT in the English Classroom
These slides are for English subject associations. If you represent a subject association and would like Kit to present these slides (or similar), please contact him at willettk[at]selwyn.school.nz
Access these slides here.
Writing in an AI World
A guide to AI language models for writers in Aotearoa
Kit has adapted his ChatGPT @ School resource to support writers across the motu to understand what ChatGPT is and how to use it to enhance their writing process.
These slides include:
- What is ChatGPT?
- What are the possibilities and limitations for writers?
- What about copyright?
- How to use ChatGPT to cure writer’s block (with a range of example prompts!)